You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB SuperDrive

I have a 2020 MacBook Air. My USB SuperDrive won't accept DVDs or CDs. I can put them in manually all the way and they are not grabbed. I have to plug it into an adapter and then get a notice that the SuperDrive needs power, but it is plugged in.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 6:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 7:51 AM

How are you connecting it to your Mac? It must be connected with a simple USB-C-to-A adapter. I use an $8 nonda dongle bought on Amazon, my SuperDrive works with all six Macs in the house.

The SuperDrive draws nearly twice the current of a standard USB-A device, so hubs/docks generally don’t work. The drive must be properly powered to grab an inserted disc.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2020 7:51 AM in response to schuyler21

How are you connecting it to your Mac? It must be connected with a simple USB-C-to-A adapter. I use an $8 nonda dongle bought on Amazon, my SuperDrive works with all six Macs in the house.

The SuperDrive draws nearly twice the current of a standard USB-A device, so hubs/docks generally don’t work. The drive must be properly powered to grab an inserted disc.

USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.