You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering/flashing/blinking when using intel integrated GPU after Big Sur update

Screen flickering/flashing/blinking happens when MacBook using integrated graphic card Intel UHD 630, but it's OK when using AMD Radeon Pro 5300M. I noticed that the problem started after the Big Sur update. Instant randomized screen flickering occurs when watching videos in full screen with Safari or Chrome, sharing full screen apps like microsoft powerpoint on zoom or on some websites. This is very uncomfortable. Disabling automatic graphics mode switching prevents this, but with this solution, it is necessary to use an external graphics card while traveling on safari or Chrome.

My computer: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2,6 GHz 6 Core Intel Core i7, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M. 

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 8:49 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 30, 2020 2:12 PM in response to sadimemis

Hey sadimemis,

Thanks for the update. Since it seems to not affect all browsers, you can isolate the cause by booting using safe mode.

"If the issue continues in safe mode

If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode

If the issue doesn't continue while in safe mode, leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally. Then test for the issue again. The issue might be resolved.

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

• Test your login items.
  • To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
  • Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
  • Reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support."

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Have a good one.

Dec 29, 2020 11:16 AM in response to sadimemis

Greetings sadimemis,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like the MacBook Pro is switching between graphic cards causing the screen to flicker. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. We would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

How to reinstall macOS

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Take care.

Dec 30, 2020 2:00 PM in response to mario49

First of all, thank you for your interest and reply. However, the problem continues even though I tried the solutions you suggested. In the meantime, there were those who experienced similar problems in this forum in previous years and in the recent past. I realized that I do not have a screen flickering problem when using a different browser such as microsoft edge. I think this problem is experienced in Safari and Chrome due to a different factor that I do not know, such as java or subtitles in certain sites or what is in YouTube. I had never had such a problem before the Big Sur update. But forums and tech sites have long been full of problems from those who have had similar problems with updates. It is a pity that such an annoying problem for a long time could not be solved by such a large company.

Dec 30, 2020 2:55 PM in response to mario49

Thank you for your answer. There is no problem in safe mode, because radeon works as a graphic unit in save mode and even if this automatic switch is selected. It does not run the intel UHD graphic chip run alone.  In other words, when we run the computer in safe mode to detect the problem, the intel UHD graphic card does not function alone, so the system fails to appear. When the computer is turned on normally again, when only the intel graphic card runs, the problem appears again.

Screen flickering/flashing/blinking when using intel integrated GPU after Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.