You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I keep my MacBook Air plugged in when not in use?

Should I keep my MacBook Air 2020 plugged in when not in use?

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 10:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 12:09 PM

The charger in your MacBook is a smart device so it is unlikely to cause any significant problems. Keeping the battery at 100% for extended periods is not ideal and might have a very small impact on long term life, but you have to balance that against using and recharging from a reasonably finite number of charge cycles each of which makes a minor reduction in battery life. There is no evidence to support either scheme, but I have never had a battery fail from being kept well charged. I have had batteries fail because they were allowed to discharge fully and not recharged promptly.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2020 12:09 PM in response to EminKobi

The charger in your MacBook is a smart device so it is unlikely to cause any significant problems. Keeping the battery at 100% for extended periods is not ideal and might have a very small impact on long term life, but you have to balance that against using and recharging from a reasonably finite number of charge cycles each of which makes a minor reduction in battery life. There is no evidence to support either scheme, but I have never had a battery fail from being kept well charged. I have had batteries fail because they were allowed to discharge fully and not recharged promptly.

Should I keep my MacBook Air plugged in when not in use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.