You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gaming Mouse Lag with Big Sur

I have a problem with my SteelSeries Rival 700 gaming mouse running big sur. The screen animation is very laggy when I wave my curser over apps and when I am in apps. It worked fine on Catalina or below. I thought that it is the Steel Series software not well optimized for Big Sur, but even with the software off, it still lags a lot. So I think that Apple needs to make an update to support gaming mouses. Because of this I regret updating to Big Sur. I use a Mid 2014 13-inch MacBook Pro and before Big Sur, the mouse worked fine. I also used this mouse on other machines and it also works just fine.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 7:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 6:09 PM

Hello Metro287.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing delay/lag issues when using your mouse with your Mac. If so, we'd like to look into this issue with you.

You had mentioned that you tested your mouse with other machines and it worked fine. Did you test them with other Macs? If so, were they also using macOS Big Sur? Have you also checked for any firmware updates with SteelSeries? We do have a couple of additional troubleshooting steps we can suggest to see if they can help out. You can test this issue in safe mode and also create a new user account on your Mac. The resources below can guide you:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Safe mode will prevent certain non-essential apps from opening up when starting up your Mac. It can help isolate software issues. Testing this issue with a new user on your Mac can help identify if this issue is user specific.

We hope this information is useful. Best of luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2020 6:09 PM in response to Metro287

Hello Metro287.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing delay/lag issues when using your mouse with your Mac. If so, we'd like to look into this issue with you.

You had mentioned that you tested your mouse with other machines and it worked fine. Did you test them with other Macs? If so, were they also using macOS Big Sur? Have you also checked for any firmware updates with SteelSeries? We do have a couple of additional troubleshooting steps we can suggest to see if they can help out. You can test this issue in safe mode and also create a new user account on your Mac. The resources below can guide you:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Safe mode will prevent certain non-essential apps from opening up when starting up your Mac. It can help isolate software issues. Testing this issue with a new user on your Mac can help identify if this issue is user specific.

We hope this information is useful. Best of luck.

Gaming Mouse Lag with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.