You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded documents

I can't get my downloads to stay open on my apple mac, so I can't work on the downloads

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 1:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 2:08 PM

No you cannot drag a PDF from an email attachment, and when you right-click on it to save to the Downloads folder, that is a save panel which will not remain open after you save the document. Your Finder window should have a Downloads folder in its Favorites, and if it does not, you can fix that in Finder Preferences : Sidebar : and select Downloads.

When I open my Downloads folder in Finder, I have it set to group files by name and sort by Date Added. This places the last downloaded file in the upper left corner of the Finder Window. Open a Finder window to your Downloads folder. Click on that Finder window, and press ⌘j to open the View Inspector, and set it like so:

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2020 2:08 PM in response to mejit

No you cannot drag a PDF from an email attachment, and when you right-click on it to save to the Downloads folder, that is a save panel which will not remain open after you save the document. Your Finder window should have a Downloads folder in its Favorites, and if it does not, you can fix that in Finder Preferences : Sidebar : and select Downloads.

When I open my Downloads folder in Finder, I have it set to group files by name and sort by Date Added. This places the last downloaded file in the upper left corner of the Finder Window. Open a Finder window to your Downloads folder. Click on that Finder window, and press ⌘j to open the View Inspector, and set it like so:

Dec 29, 2020 2:01 PM in response to mejit

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Right click on one & Save as... for a test.

Dec 30, 2020 1:23 AM in response to VikingOSX

Tx for your helpful comments.

Just one thing though. In the past I did not drag on the pdf attachment, but simply clicked on it. It then did a loop straight into'Downloads' in the bar at the foot of the page, allowing me to click on that icon , identify the doc and then click to open. That's all I am trying to replicate as it has been working fine like I described until a couple of weeks ago when the latest software was loaded onto my Mac

Downloaded documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.