You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank screen on OS 10.6.8 start up

Our aging iMac running OS 10.6.8 is getting stuck on a blank screen on start up. I have tried booting from a USB bootable copy using the C key on start but nothing happens. I have tried booting in safe mode but nothing happens then either. In fact no combination of start up keys produces anything but a blank white screen. I'm getting a bit desperate. Any ideas? Please.

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 3:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 9:51 AM

Option key works if the flash drive has an operating system the iMac knows.

This tip will help you determine what systems the Mac knows*

http://www.macmaps.com/docs/DOC-13695/

You can try booting into target disk mode with the 'T' key. If that works, and you have a Firewire compatible Mac, you can rescue data off of it. Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters exist from Apple as well. If Target disk mode does not see the drive in question from a known newer Mac, then the drive inside the computer likely is toast.

All startup combinations must be done from a WIRED keyboard. No wireless keyboard will work. Microsoft keyboards use the Alt key to represent the Option key and the Windows key to represent the Command key.

Note: Macs will not boot systems that are older than what shipped with them. Macs won't boot system specific discs that are from models and vintages other than the model in question (i.e. you can't use an early 2009 iMac installer disc on an early 2008 iMac).

*Links to my pages may give me compensation

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2020 9:51 AM in response to Robin Helmond

Option key works if the flash drive has an operating system the iMac knows.

This tip will help you determine what systems the Mac knows*

http://www.macmaps.com/docs/DOC-13695/

You can try booting into target disk mode with the 'T' key. If that works, and you have a Firewire compatible Mac, you can rescue data off of it. Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters exist from Apple as well. If Target disk mode does not see the drive in question from a known newer Mac, then the drive inside the computer likely is toast.

All startup combinations must be done from a WIRED keyboard. No wireless keyboard will work. Microsoft keyboards use the Alt key to represent the Option key and the Windows key to represent the Command key.

Note: Macs will not boot systems that are older than what shipped with them. Macs won't boot system specific discs that are from models and vintages other than the model in question (i.e. you can't use an early 2009 iMac installer disc on an early 2008 iMac).

*Links to my pages may give me compensation

Dec 30, 2020 1:12 PM in response to a brody

Thank you, that has given me something to think about. The Mac in question is a 2007 17inch with an upgraded 1 TB HD. I did try to start from a recent bootable copy (Super Duper) on a USB portable HD without any response. I tried using the original Snow Leopard disc without any response either. I will try some more fiddling today after it has been disconnected from the power overnight.

Dec 30, 2020 3:34 PM in response to Robin Helmond

After being disconnected from power overnight it started up this morning, albeit very slowly. So that is good news. I think we will be getting a new iMac in the New Year.

I also confirmed that my weekly Super Duper back up of the said iMac will run on my old MBP so we have that as second string until we get a new iMac.

Thanks for your suggestions, it is always good to be able to talk about these things with knowledgeable people.

Jan 1, 2021 10:13 PM in response to Robin Helmond

I foolishly shut the computer down, as I usually do overnight, and it would not restart again in the morning. Same white screen with no action. So I shut it down, disconnected the keyboard and mouse, internet connection and the USB cable to the Time Machine external HD. It restarted perfectly well, just like it usually does. Plugging the peripherals back in caused no bother.

Which of the external connections could be causing the computer not to start up properly? The Time Machine HD perhaps?

I'm not about to do an elimination trial because I can't risk loosing it altogether. I won't be shutting it down until we get the new iMac. All the same, I would like to know what could cause the problem.

Blank screen on OS 10.6.8 start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.