You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera.

My first time using iMovie in a decade. I shot the movie on my phone, plugged it into the computer via USB-C, and (I thought) uploaded it to the hard drive. Now I want to publish it to YouTube and it's giving me this weird error. Help!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 4:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 7:16 PM

Hi, RocketGirl1,

Usually the "still referencing" error means that the importing device was disconnected from the computer or turned off before the importing process was completed. Try reimporting and waiting longer for the import to complete.

The feature of direct importing to You Tube from iMovie has been removed in recent upgrades, but in any event was not all that reliable beforehand. The most reliable way to upload to You Tube is to export the project as a movie file to your desktop, and then drag it from there into You Tube's upload window.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2021 7:16 PM in response to RocketGir1

Hi, RocketGirl1,

Usually the "still referencing" error means that the importing device was disconnected from the computer or turned off before the importing process was completed. Try reimporting and waiting longer for the import to complete.

The feature of direct importing to You Tube from iMovie has been removed in recent upgrades, but in any event was not all that reliable beforehand. The most reliable way to upload to You Tube is to export the project as a movie file to your desktop, and then drag it from there into You Tube's upload window.

-- Rich

This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.