You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2020 Volume Buttons

If the phone rings to loud I am in the habit of hitting the volume down button. On my SE this completely mutes the volume and unless I do something immediately (which I may not be able to do) it will remain that way till I miss the next call due to no volume and see it in my recents. I do go into settings and reset the volume...till the next time. I know of the silent/mute button right above the volume buttons. That is NOT the problem. I have tested the button in settings (Change with Buttons) both ways and this does not change the above. This may be an operator issue!

Thanks in advance for any help or direction in this matter.

Ed

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 1:14 PM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2021 4:43 PM in response to wacoed

Hello wacoed,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities! We understand that the volume on your iPhone SE (2nd generation) mutes when you decline a call using the Volume down button. We'd be happy to help take a closer look at this behavior with you.

Does this occur when holding down the Volume down button, pressing and quickly releasing it to decline a call, or both? If you have a case on the iPhone, you may also want to test the behavior without the case on as it could be causing the Volume down button to stick.

Let's also test after confirming the iPhone has been updated to the latest iOS, which is currently iOS 14.3:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know what you find.

Take care.

Jan 7, 2021 7:10 AM in response to MichelleT18

Michelle:

Thank you for the reply. Can confirm that 14.3 installed. Can confirm no difference case on or off. Buttons mute with a long or quick press. In addition, under the volume ringer sliding bar in sound and haptics there is a Change with buttons on off switch. When it is toggled on or off, both up and down mute the ringer.

Ed

iPhone SE 2020 Volume Buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.