You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Are Two Data partitions showing in Disk Utility For Startup Drive

I have a late 2013 iMac 27" running Catalina 10.15.7. I recently had to reformat the startup volume and rebuild it from a Time Machine Back Up. The Current Disk is named "Juntos" it was backed up from a Time Machine backup of a disk named "SpringBoard". When I see "Juntos" in the Disk Utility it shows Volumes named "Juntos", and two volumes both named "Juntos - Data". Those drives are formatted as APFS.

Time machine will not back up the "Juntos" volumes complaining that there are two disks named "Juntos - Data". I temporarily changed the name of one to "Juntos - Data 1" and Time Machine will back them up. Why were/are there two volumes named "Juntos Data"? The Desktop only shows "Juntos" and "Juntos - Data" both before the name change and after. Is this something that needs to be addressed? Is it possible and/or necessary to merge the two Data volumes? I am concerned that if the disk fails my Time Machine backup will be unusable.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 6:48 PM

That usually happens when you reinstall the OS without cleaning up the old one, first.

Open Disk Utility and select each of the - Data volumes. Look in the info pane for the Mount Point.

Remove the one that is mounted at /Volumes/.

The one currently in use is mounted at /System/Volumes/Data.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2021 6:48 PM in response to mshot

That usually happens when you reinstall the OS without cleaning up the old one, first.

Open Disk Utility and select each of the - Data volumes. Look in the info pane for the Mount Point.

Remove the one that is mounted at /Volumes/.

The one currently in use is mounted at /System/Volumes/Data.

Why Are Two Data partitions showing in Disk Utility For Startup Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.