You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Link two or more cells

I’m wondering if I can link two or more cells together so that if I use a filter or if I sort the column they always stay together. And if so, how can I do it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 1:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 5:11 PM

Filtering a table does not affect the order of rows in the table, so, provided that the filter does not remove one of the cells and retain the other, the relative position of the two cells wrt each other should not change.

When a table is sorted, the position of each row in the sorted table depends on the values in the cells in the column(s) on which the table is sorted. To keep the two or more cells together, you'll need a 'pre-sort' column with cells containing only two distinct values—one for the cells you want to keep together, the other for the rest.

The pre-sort, on that column will bring the group of cells to the top or the bottom of the table.

A second sort on a different column may change the order of the 'group'and will change the order of the "other group" but will keep both 'groups' together.

The process will work with a hierarchical sort constructed and stored in the Filter inspector.

Done as two consecutive 'manual' sorts, the second sort may sort the whole table, separating the small group.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2021 5:11 PM in response to itsrebekah

Filtering a table does not affect the order of rows in the table, so, provided that the filter does not remove one of the cells and retain the other, the relative position of the two cells wrt each other should not change.

When a table is sorted, the position of each row in the sorted table depends on the values in the cells in the column(s) on which the table is sorted. To keep the two or more cells together, you'll need a 'pre-sort' column with cells containing only two distinct values—one for the cells you want to keep together, the other for the rest.

The pre-sort, on that column will bring the group of cells to the top or the bottom of the table.

A second sort on a different column may change the order of the 'group'and will change the order of the "other group" but will keep both 'groups' together.

The process will work with a hierarchical sort constructed and stored in the Filter inspector.

Done as two consecutive 'manual' sorts, the second sort may sort the whole table, separating the small group.

Regards,

Barry

Link two or more cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.