You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive on iPad Pro

I have my hard drive correctly attached to my iPad Pro, but neither it nor several flash drives show up in Files. Why?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 3:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 1:32 AM

There’s your problem. Whilst NTFS is supported by your PC, NTFS is not supported by iPadOS.

As stated in my initial reply, your external storage device(s) must have only single partition and be formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS (APFS is Apple proprietary).

The only universal formats that work cross-platform are FAT32 and exFAT; both PC and Mac can format devices to either of these formats.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2021 1:32 AM in response to LarrySchwe

There’s your problem. Whilst NTFS is supported by your PC, NTFS is not supported by iPadOS.

As stated in my initial reply, your external storage device(s) must have only single partition and be formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS (APFS is Apple proprietary).

The only universal formats that work cross-platform are FAT32 and exFAT; both PC and Mac can format devices to either of these formats.

Jan 6, 2021 1:19 AM in response to LarrySchwe

That adapter will not work and the Windows NTFS format is not supported on Apple mobile device.

Also, unfortunately, initial formatting/re-formatting of any externally connected drives to be used on Apple Mobile devices MUST be formatted using an Apple Mac computer.

No option.

You need this adapter.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

And tbe drive needs to be formatted in either

Apple native macOS format

Apple APFS

Fat 32

Ex fat

You need to find a family member OR friend that owns a Mac to help you format/re-format these drives

OR

Go online, locate your nearest, “local” Apple Store location and call and make an appointment to go into the store and have Apple Genius bar employees help you with formatting/re-formatting these drives for use with your iPad Pro.

Best of Luck to You!

Jan 5, 2021 4:51 PM in response to LarrySchwe

An external HDD can be connected to your iPad with the Apple adapter appropriate for your model of iPad - if the HDD is both partitioned and formatted appropriately (i.e., a single partition - formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS). 

You should also note that the iPad is not capable of providing sufficient power to run an HDD. If the HDD does not have its own source of power - then external power must be supplied to the HDD using the connecting adapter (e.g., an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter and Apple Charger of at least 12W) - or by connecting both the iPad and HDD to a powered USB hub.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

Jan 5, 2021 5:30 PM in response to LarrySchwe

Are you using a genuine Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter that incorporates both a USB Type-A and pass-through Lightning power port - or something else?

The earlier version Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, with only a USB connection, is inadequate - unless you are also using a powered USB hub, to which everything must be connected.

Other than incorrect format or partitioning, which will inhibit use of any external storage (HDD, SSD or Flash), the issue you describe is typical of inadequate power provision.

Hard drive on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.