You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver Issues With Big Sur

I have a late 2015 iMAC. Recently installed Big Sur. I have always used Photos as my screen saver. After updating to Big Sur, I was only seeing the same 10 or so photos over and over. Now after going into Systems Preferences to find the problem and choosing "Classic," there is a floating message in the computer picture that says: "You cannot use the iLifeSlideshows screen saver with this version of MacOS. Please contact the vendor to get a newer version of the screen saver." How would I do this? Is the vendor Apple? Thanks for any help.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 9:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 3:52 PM

Well, I fixed it myself. It took hours. I'm going to try to remember what I did. I chose Photos Library in the Source box. (I don't believe this choice was there earlier.) I kept going back and forth between the Desktop tab and the Screenshot tab. Something seemed to reset. In the next screen, the choices were Photos, Favorites, People, Shared, Albums. I chose Photos and waited several hours (!) I would get SOME pictures and they were all the same. So I kind of repeated what I did (which may be unnecessary). My theory is that Big Sur had to recognize all the photos again (I have thousands) and it just took awhile to load. I hope this helps someone.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2021 3:52 PM in response to ceilp

Well, I fixed it myself. It took hours. I'm going to try to remember what I did. I chose Photos Library in the Source box. (I don't believe this choice was there earlier.) I kept going back and forth between the Desktop tab and the Screenshot tab. Something seemed to reset. In the next screen, the choices were Photos, Favorites, People, Shared, Albums. I chose Photos and waited several hours (!) I would get SOME pictures and they were all the same. So I kind of repeated what I did (which may be unnecessary). My theory is that Big Sur had to recognize all the photos again (I have thousands) and it just took awhile to load. I hope this helps someone.

Screensaver Issues With Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.