You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2017 Keys coming unstuck - What Should I do!

I have a MBP 2017 and keys are coming unstuck. When you turn the computer upside down you can see that several of the keys are simply half hanging on and will probably fall off soon. The keys, not just these have also recently been less responsive. I realise the computer is reasonably old, but nevertheless, for keys to just start falling off feels to me to have more to do with the design faults (as documented by others) than the age of the device. Any suggestions what to do. I expect from what I have seen from others that Apple will not provide free support for this, though it appears to be due to design issues.

Any suggestions what can be done and is it a big, expensive job to get keys replaced? Thanks for any suggestions:)

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 1:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 8:22 PM

Most likely the keys are damaged. IIRC the keys are supposed to unlatch from the top first so if the bottoms of the keys are loose then they are likely physically broken/damaged. If they weren't at first, then they most likely are now if you've been using the keyboard.

If the butterfly mechanism is not damaged, then it may be possible to replace just the key caps, but it can be extremely difficult to get an exact match since Apple has many variations of these keys where even the black finish is different when two different key caps are put side by side. I've never looked for replacement key caps online for these USB-C models. Keep in mind the plastic on these key caps is extremely thin and easily cracked/damaged.

You should have Apple examine the keyboard to see what they have to say about it. In theory Apple is able to replace just the key caps if the butterfly mechanisms are not damaged, but this still may be expensive. Many shops may not replace the key caps since they can only purchase a whole set of key caps at an expensive price. I doubt they will cover this keyboard repair under the free keyboard repair program.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2021 8:22 PM in response to Vemo100

Most likely the keys are damaged. IIRC the keys are supposed to unlatch from the top first so if the bottoms of the keys are loose then they are likely physically broken/damaged. If they weren't at first, then they most likely are now if you've been using the keyboard.

If the butterfly mechanism is not damaged, then it may be possible to replace just the key caps, but it can be extremely difficult to get an exact match since Apple has many variations of these keys where even the black finish is different when two different key caps are put side by side. I've never looked for replacement key caps online for these USB-C models. Keep in mind the plastic on these key caps is extremely thin and easily cracked/damaged.

You should have Apple examine the keyboard to see what they have to say about it. In theory Apple is able to replace just the key caps if the butterfly mechanisms are not damaged, but this still may be expensive. Many shops may not replace the key caps since they can only purchase a whole set of key caps at an expensive price. I doubt they will cover this keyboard repair under the free keyboard repair program.

MBP 2017 Keys coming unstuck - What Should I do!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.