You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro battery swelling

2017 MacBook Pro

The bottom case is starting to bulge so I took to an authorised Apple Service center for investigation and they want $400 to replace the defective battery.

As other MacBook Pro’s of a similar age are covered under the recall program, I want to know how to complain and challenge why my model isn’t covered, despite the obviously similar problem.

There are no appointments available at the Genius Bar and I don’t want to spend hours on the phone. Does anyone have an email address I could try, I haven’t found anything.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 8:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 8:27 AM

Matt_carrie wrote:

2017 MacBook Pro

The bottom case is starting to bulge so I took to an authorised Apple Service center for investigation and they want $400 to replace the defective battery.
As other MacBook Pro’s of a similar age are covered under the recall program, I want to know how to complain and challenge why my model isn’t covered, despite the obviously similar problem.
There are no appointments available at the Genius Bar and I don’t want to spend hours on the phone. Does anyone have an email address I could try, I haven’t found anything.

If it is not covered by the service program, then it is an out of pocket expense. No email address is going to change that.

Learn how to get your Mac desktop or Mac notebook fixed and how much it will cost.

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2021 8:27 AM in response to Matt_carrie

Matt_carrie wrote:

2017 MacBook Pro

If it is not covered by the service program, then it is an out of pocket expense. No email address is going to change that.

Learn how to get your Mac desktop or Mac notebook fixed and how much it will cost.

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Jan 7, 2021 10:21 AM in response to Matt_carrie

...so I took to an authorized Apple Service center...

You took it to the wrong place. Very few Apple Authorized Service Providers can do a battery change for the published price within existing laws.

Removing the old battery involves high flammable, toxic solvents that can neither be stored nor used in a retail setting due to fire, health, and safety regulations. The only options left to them is to replace the entire upper deck, meaning a new battery, chassis, trackpad, and keyboard, or turn down the job.

Apple does not do them in-store either for the same legal reasons. They have centralized refurb stations that have the processes and equipment in place to manage hazardous materials. That is wh

Apple offers a ship-in service for notebook computers that will get the work done at the published US price of $199. Start the online service request

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

and select "Battery service." You should be offered options including requesting a shipping carton or doing a drop-off at a UPS Store.

I would let Apple know what you encountered:

Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple

Jan 7, 2021 11:03 AM in response to Matt_carrie

Last month I had the battery replaced in my 13" Late 2013 MBPr. It cost $199 (plus tax) at a local Apple Store here in Hawaii. It turns out they did not just rip out the old battery and slap in a new one. Instead, they replaced the whole upper case to which the battery is glued into. This included the keyboard and trackpad as well the upper case (where you rest your hand on when typing). The "genius" said they do work in the store. Got it back about a week after I dropped it off.

macbook pro battery swelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.