You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Panic Report Help on mid 2010 pro

For a while I've been getting random restarts with panic reports that seem to indicate GPU. I took it someplace yesterday and they thought it was the drive and installed a solid state drive. May have slowed down restarts but they are still happening. Now anytime I get assigned a new customer on a particular web-based program I use for work it restarts. The panic report is as follows, but frankly it's Greek to me. The machine is a mid2010 macbook pro, with High Sierra. Thank you in advance. Dan

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 10:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 10:51 AM

Pretty much mentions the GPU in the first lines with references to Nvidia further down.

Try starting up in Safe Mode,

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

This will run disk repairs and clear caches, it takes a long time

to start up in Safe Mode so be patient.

Restart normally.

Then try this, Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac – Apple Support

Click on the top left of your screen select About this Mac and take

a note of the graphics card details, go to the Nvidia website and see if there are

any drivers available for the OS and mac you are running, install if any

see if it makes a difference.

You could try reinstalling High Sierra again, you do not need to erase your mac first just install it over what you have.

Get the High Sierra installer here,

Open Safari and click on this link,

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on macOS High Sierra

this will redirect you to the App Store High Sierra page it should say Get or Download.

Back your mac up before you reinstall the OS.

If these don't work and you do not get any further forward with anything I have mentioned

or any other contributions from other it may be time for a new mac as the graphics cards in MBPs

cannot be replaced.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2021 10:51 AM in response to Dan-Levitan

Pretty much mentions the GPU in the first lines with references to Nvidia further down.

Try starting up in Safe Mode,

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

This will run disk repairs and clear caches, it takes a long time

to start up in Safe Mode so be patient.

Restart normally.

Then try this, Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac – Apple Support

Click on the top left of your screen select About this Mac and take

a note of the graphics card details, go to the Nvidia website and see if there are

any drivers available for the OS and mac you are running, install if any

see if it makes a difference.

You could try reinstalling High Sierra again, you do not need to erase your mac first just install it over what you have.

Get the High Sierra installer here,

Open Safari and click on this link,

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on macOS High Sierra

this will redirect you to the App Store High Sierra page it should say Get or Download.

Back your mac up before you reinstall the OS.

If these don't work and you do not get any further forward with anything I have mentioned

or any other contributions from other it may be time for a new mac as the graphics cards in MBPs

cannot be replaced.

Jan 8, 2021 12:49 PM in response to Dan-Levitan

I suspect a failed GPU. You Mac is the right generation to suffer failing discrete GPU.

Try gSwitch and force the use of the intel integrated graphics

https://github.com/CodySchrank/gSwitch

The other VERY remote possibility is that you seem to have 3rd party RAM

Corsair Mac Memory — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SODIMM Memory

Sometimes failing RAM can cause issues, But it is much more common for your panic to be related to a failing GPU, so I would go with gSwitch and disable the discrete GPU.

Panic Report Help on mid 2010 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.