You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel File Downloads

When I download xl files from by bank etc and open them, they open in Numbers not excel so I have to export them to excel. Is there any way that my excel file downloads can be downloaded automatically as excel files as I do not use Numbers very often? Thanks

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 9:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 11:35 PM

Hi gsgtd21,

I suspect you have Numbers set as the default application to open .xlsx files. You can change that setting with these steps:

• In Finder, locate any file with an .xlsx extension.
  • Click once on the filename to select that file, then
  • Press command-I (eye, not one) to Get Info.
  • In the Info pane that opens,, go to the Open with section.
  • Click on the bar with the application name (probably Numbers). It will expand to a list of applications.
  • Choose Microsoft Excel from the list.
  • Click the "Change All" button to make Excel the default application to open all .xlsx files.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2021 11:35 PM in response to gsgtd21

Hi gsgtd21,

I suspect you have Numbers set as the default application to open .xlsx files. You can change that setting with these steps:

• In Finder, locate any file with an .xlsx extension.
  • Click once on the filename to select that file, then
  • Press command-I (eye, not one) to Get Info.
  • In the Info pane that opens,, go to the Open with section.
  • Click on the bar with the application name (probably Numbers). It will expand to a list of applications.
  • Choose Microsoft Excel from the list.
  • Click the "Change All" button to make Excel the default application to open all .xlsx files.

Regards,

Barry

Excel File Downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.