You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I remove a photo from an album it´s also removed from photos. I shouldn

When I remove a photo from an album, it´s also removed from photos and other albums. It shouldn´t if I have understood the manual correctly. What am I doing wrong?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 8:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 9:06 AM

If you delete a photo from an album, it will be deleted everywhere. If you remove a photo from an album, it will only be removed from the album. The "delete" key ⌫ is sometimes bound to "Remove from album" and sometimes to "Delete Photo". It depends on where you are viewing the photos.

Which album are you viewing, when you are trying to remove a photo? Some albums do not allow to remove photos - for example the smart albums or the albums automatically created by Photos. here we can only delete photos from the library but not remove them from the album. These albums are populated automatically based on some rules, and to remove the photo from the albums we would need to change the rules, which is not possible for the automatically created albums.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 13, 2021 9:06 AM in response to pålle

If you delete a photo from an album, it will be deleted everywhere. If you remove a photo from an album, it will only be removed from the album. The "delete" key ⌫ is sometimes bound to "Remove from album" and sometimes to "Delete Photo". It depends on where you are viewing the photos.

Which album are you viewing, when you are trying to remove a photo? Some albums do not allow to remove photos - for example the smart albums or the albums automatically created by Photos. here we can only delete photos from the library but not remove them from the album. These albums are populated automatically based on some rules, and to remove the photo from the albums we would need to change the rules, which is not possible for the automatically created albums.

When I remove a photo from an album it´s also removed from photos. I shouldn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.