You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to record yamaha digital piano MIDI data directy in Garagrband

I’m very new to all this... wanting to learn for my kids.

I’ve been able to successfully connect my Yamaha YDP-103 to my iPhone and iPad (14.3 7th gen) using the USB to Host cable. It works in Yamaha apps and records the MIDI data played on the piano perfectly to my phone. (Only limitation is I cannot get the MIDI data from those apps to edit or create sheet music.)

What I was hoping to do is the same in GarageBand... I’ve seen this done with iPads in video tutorials and looks awesome. But when I open Garageband, hook up my piano, start a new track and select External track, I get a pop up window suggesting Audio Unit Extensions.

Do I need an extension installed on my iPad before I can record MIDI data directly from my piano in GarageBand? And if so, which one?

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 8:58 AM

1 reply

How to record yamaha digital piano MIDI data directy in Garagrband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.