You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not syncing between iPhone XS and Mac Air with M1 chip

There seems to be two separate accounts? One of them is my email and the other is my actual number and both can send messages to people. My phone is using the number and my computer is using the email. However, both are signed in with the same Apple ID. Thanks for the help!

The iPhone and Mac are both updated to their latest respective OS's.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 7:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 9:27 AM

Percvial,

You'll want to choose the option that says "Use your Apple ID for iMessage." This shouldn't cause any data loss. This support article has additional details: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you'd like to set up text message forwarding to your iMac, we encourage you to review steps here: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Take care. 

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Percvial

Percvial,

You'll want to choose the option that says "Use your Apple ID for iMessage." This shouldn't cause any data loss. This support article has additional details: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support

If you'd like to set up text message forwarding to your iMac, we encourage you to review steps here: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Take care. 

Jan 16, 2021 2:26 PM in response to KMB_12

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the response. When I go to send and receive, it says "YOU CAN SEND AND RECEIVE IMESSAGES TO AND REPLY FROM" and there is a ✓ next to my number. However, there is also an option to "Use your Apple ID for iMessage"

Should I click the second one? If so, will I lose all of the messages I've sent with my number or will they sync over?

Thanks,

Percival

iMessage not syncing between iPhone XS and Mac Air with M1 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.