You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if my 2FA device dies?

The two-factor-authentication always goes to one device, but it is old and might die at any time. So does that mean I'll be locked out of using other Apple stuff?

(Right now "other Apple stuff" means iCloud Mail, but the way Apple tries to ram THE Apple Way down my throat is the main reason I don't own any other Apple devices. That "one device" is a MacBook Pro that has given me very little but grief over the years. (Or maybe my anticipation that this comment will be censored is the main reason? But I did look in the non-Communities resources first, but again I was failing to think THE Apple Way.))

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 9:16 AM

See if anything here helps.  If necessary, you can use account recovery as explained in the link at bottom of the article.

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication.   

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 15, 2021 9:55 AM in response to shanen0

shanen0 wrote:

The two-factor-authentication always goes to one device, but it is old and might die at any time. So does that mean I'll be locked out of using other Apple stuff?

You should always have more than one trusted device. And, you should consider also having a trusted number. I use my office landline but it could be a family member's phone number. A Google voice number is a good option for a trusted number as you can access those from many different kinds of devices.

See the section in this article on "Trusted devices":

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

What if my 2FA device dies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.