You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Migration Assistant to go from High Sierra machine to Big Sur machine?

I'm thinking of getting a new MacBook Air (M1) running, of course, Big Sur. My current computer is a 2017 MacBook Air (13") running High Sierra. I was hoping to use Migration Assistant to transfer my data, but I saw this on the Apple support page for Migration Assistant:

"Before you begin, upgrade to the latest version of macOS on both Mac computers."

Does that mean that I have to have Big Sur on my current computer or just have the latest version of High Sierra? Any work-arounds if the answer is that I need Big Sur on both computers? Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:53 PM

You do no need to upgrade the old Mac: Apple is quite clear on this: if you have macOS 10.9 to 10.13. it will be as smooth ride. Here is the article referencing it: macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

Now before you start the upgrade, do make sure you have a backup in case things go wrong. This is rare but you want to have this backup.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 15, 2021 12:53 PM in response to hesson11

You do no need to upgrade the old Mac: Apple is quite clear on this: if you have macOS 10.9 to 10.13. it will be as smooth ride. Here is the article referencing it: macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

Now before you start the upgrade, do make sure you have a backup in case things go wrong. This is rare but you want to have this backup.

Jan 15, 2021 2:07 PM in response to 6x6

Thank you very much 6X6. The article you linked to says you can upgrade a Mac from High Sierra to Big Sur, but it doesn't address using Migration Assistant to go from an old Mac to a new one. So I'm still a bit curious about why the Migration Assistant support page says, "upgrade to the latest version of macOS on both Mac computers." Thanks again.

Use Migration Assistant to go from High Sierra machine to Big Sur machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.