You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Touch ID Issue

After the new update, I wasn't able to use my Touch ID fingerprint when logging onto my MacBook. To troubleshoot, I deleted my original fingerprint and tried to re-add the same fingerprint. I am now unable to add fingerprints.

Scenario: When I click "Add Fingerprint", it asks me for my password to authorize, then nothing happens when I click Add Fingerprint

Issue: Unable to add Fingerprint

Ask: Add Fingerprint

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 11:07 AM

First try SMC Reset Try now.

Second only if not working Try NVRAM Reset

Lastly, restart in Safe Mode - Shift immediately at Startup. Does a repair Disk, clear cache files and loads required Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. Once in try adding fingerprint and stay in Safe mode - 5 - 7 minuets. Restart Normal Mode and test

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 16, 2021 11:07 AM in response to DTizzy

First try SMC Reset Try now.

Second only if not working Try NVRAM Reset

Lastly, restart in Safe Mode - Shift immediately at Startup. Does a repair Disk, clear cache files and loads required Apple Software - load slowly - Normal. Once in try adding fingerprint and stay in Safe mode - 5 - 7 minuets. Restart Normal Mode and test

Adding Touch ID Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.