You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add delete button in gmail on iPad/iPhone

I’ve seen several posts about this topic, but perhaps my iOS is different because the titles of the sections in settings seem to be different. I’m using an iPad 5th generation 14.3. Can anybody direct me on how to add in trash instead of archive?

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 6:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 8:48 AM

To change the required behaviour, you need to drill at little further into your Mail settings...:

Settings > Mail > [Your Gmail Account] > [Your Gmail Account] > Advanced > [Move Discarded Messages into]

Choose from Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

Your screenshot is only half-way to the target settings page.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2021 8:48 AM in response to anonymousidiot

To change the required behaviour, you need to drill at little further into your Mail settings...:

Settings > Mail > [Your Gmail Account] > [Your Gmail Account] > Advanced > [Move Discarded Messages into]

Choose from Deleted Mailbox or Archive Mailbox

Your screenshot is only half-way to the target settings page.

Jan 18, 2021 11:01 AM in response to anonymousidiot

You’re very welcome.

Google, by its very nature, tries to keep as much information as possible - not for your benefit, but for mining your data and researching your behaviour/interests/habits for marketing purposes. Google Mail accounts default to using the Archive Mailbox.

Remember, with Google, you are the product that is sold.

Add delete button in gmail on iPad/iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.