You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage "unknown error"

iMessage returns "unknown error" when I try to sign in. This happened after Apple required a password change.

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 5:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 4:08 AM

Other forums suggested just waiting and trying again. After waiting for about a day and a half, I tried again and everything worked.

Not that big deal unless you have immediate business needs, I guess. And in that case there is always web mail. So I'm back to migrating over to Apple, as the additional security and privacy is worth it to me given the explosion in the amount of spam, phishing, and hacking.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2021 4:08 AM in response to blane240

Other forums suggested just waiting and trying again. After waiting for about a day and a half, I tried again and everything worked.

Not that big deal unless you have immediate business needs, I guess. And in that case there is always web mail. So I'm back to migrating over to Apple, as the additional security and privacy is worth it to me given the explosion in the amount of spam, phishing, and hacking.

Jan 18, 2021 6:25 PM in response to Eric Root

It was my iMac. I guess when you have to reset your password, you have to change the password in several places. Some things work, some don't. Then you have to restart the computer. Then things seem to work. So iMessages on iMac is now working. I'm having the same issues on my old Macbook Pro. iMessages works, but it won't let me configure Exchange. I'm not going to ask for community help because it appears that any Apple ID password change takes a lot of repeat effort to get things working again. Bummer. I was hoping to get rid of PCs and Androids and migrate completely to Apple. I'm rethinking that...

iMessage "unknown error"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.