You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer login trouble

I am unable to login to my computer (MacBook Air) because it thinks my password is wrong but I am certain it is the correct password

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 6:15 PM

3 replies

Jan 18, 2021 6:41 PM in response to EthanDB

EthanDB Said:

"Computer login trouble: I am unable to login to my computer (MacBook Air) because it thinks my password is wrong but I am certain it is the correct password"

-------

Some Thoughts:

• Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

If you can't enter you password correctly, then reset your SMC and your NVRAM. Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. keyboard) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset your SMC and reset your NVRAM. Then, try connecting once more. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

• Use an External Keyboard:

If the keyboard on the Mac does not work once more, then try using an external keyboard (Resetting the SMC and NVRAM would reset port settings to how they should )be. The port is where it would plug in. So, use a wired keyboard — not a Bluetooth one — and use it after the SMC and NVRAM are reset.

Use these Links:

Jan 18, 2021 6:25 PM in response to EthanDB

Okay, here are ways to double-check your password is correct, count the amount of characters and check if caps lock is off. Then re-type your password and don't rest your hands on the keyboard, that might be the problem, if still doesn't work, I recommend you try Touch ID if there is or restart and try again. If still no, I would recommend going to your local apple store and ask them for help, and please do reply if you have more concerns about this, thanks!

Computer login trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.