You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an iPhone as a webcam on and iPad

Hello. Since covid I’ve been wanting to try doing tabletop games with my friends remotely.

my current set up is using two platforms , discord and FaceTime. This is fine, but annoying. I’m wondering if there is a way to set up my iPhone as a webcam and have it connected to my iPad so I can use just one platform to play out games.

I need to see my friends set up on the iPad screen and have my phone set up with a top down view above me for him to see my table top.

I don’t own a computer at this point in time just my old phone ( iPhone 6s Plus) , my current iPhone 8 and my iPad Air 2.

and suggestions ??

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 9:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 2:56 AM

iOS/iPadOS does not support connection of an external webcam. FaceTime is constrained to using either the front or rear camera of the host device.

As such, your only practical option is to use your iPhone to host the FaceTime call - and whist using the iPhone rear camera, use a suitable mount (such as a tripod) to support the iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2021 2:56 AM in response to kamaltow

iOS/iPadOS does not support connection of an external webcam. FaceTime is constrained to using either the front or rear camera of the host device.

As such, your only practical option is to use your iPhone to host the FaceTime call - and whist using the iPhone rear camera, use a suitable mount (such as a tripod) to support the iPhone.

Using an iPhone as a webcam on and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.