You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does not recognize external DVD burner

I have an LG Slim Portable DVD Writer. Prior to upgrading too Big Sur, the DVD burner worked. After upgrading, I've noticed when plugging it in the green light on the drive just flashes and a clicking sound is heard. Also, the MacBook Pro 16" does not recognize the drive when it is plugged in. It does however recognize my two external hard drives when I plug them. I plugged the DVD drive into my previous MacBook Pro 13" with Catalina and the drive did work. Is there going to be an update pushed out to correct this issue since it seems to be a software issue?

MacBook Pro 16″, 11.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:34 PM

If it is a software issue, you will need to contact the drive maker for a new Driver. Many older drivers just patched the kernel to install their Drivers, and that is not allowed under Big Sur.

Similar questions

1 reply

does not recognize external DVD burner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.