You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo's is freezing while making a new System Library

Hi,

I had a Photo's library on my iMac with 250.000 pics and "optimize" mac space selected. Now I moved that library to an external HD and I want to make that copied library now my System Library. The idea is that on the HD, all my pics are stored as I have the space on my HD. But when I select the option to make that copied library my System Library, the Photo's app freezes. I let it run now for a week but still freezing.

Is it normal that it takes so much time ? Why does the app freezes ?

Thanx for support, Jan

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 1:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 1:37 AM

Hi

Is the external drive correctly set up for using with a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

If it *is* set up correctly - and I guess you have all your photos in

iCloud, then you could try creating a new empty library on the external

drive, setting that as the system library and allowing photos to

download all your images into that one.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 21, 2021 1:37 AM in response to yamo

Hi

Is the external drive correctly set up for using with a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

If it *is* set up correctly - and I guess you have all your photos in

iCloud, then you could try creating a new empty library on the external

drive, setting that as the system library and allowing photos to

download all your images into that one.

Jan 22, 2021 5:00 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

Yes, I formatted the drive to a compatible format. MacOS extended (journaled). So that's not the issue. When I open the new library on the HD? all is working perfect. It's just when I select: use this library as the System Library, then the app is freezing although I see huge acitivy with my activity monitor going on. SO I guess it's making somehow a connection to the Cloud? My main question is: how long can this takes? Weeks? a month?

Jan

Jan 23, 2021 6:29 AM in response to yamo

Are all your photos still in iCloud? Then it might be more efficient to use a new, empty library on your external volume as your system Photos Library. It will save the new upload of all 250000 photos to iCloud. Photos will simply start to download your photos from iCloud to the new system Photos Library.

Photo's is freezing while making a new System Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.