You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to a USB-c charger for iPad 8th generation?

Do I have to use a USB-c charger for my iPad 8th generation?

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 6:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 6:08 AM

No you don’t have to use a USB-C Power Adapter, but you’ll achieve the fastest possible charging rates (20W) if you do.

Should you wish to do so, you can use a standard USB Power Adapter. The maximum charging rate of your iPad will be limited to 12W (2.4A @5V). Higher wattage chargers will not increase the maximum supported charge rate of the iPad. Note also that iPad requires a Power Adapter rated to at least 10W to reliably charge.

You’ll obviously require the correct charging cable to connect your iPad to your chosen Power Adapter - either a Lightning to USB-C, or a Lightning to USB Type-A.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 21, 2021 6:08 AM in response to USB-cx

No you don’t have to use a USB-C Power Adapter, but you’ll achieve the fastest possible charging rates (20W) if you do.

Should you wish to do so, you can use a standard USB Power Adapter. The maximum charging rate of your iPad will be limited to 12W (2.4A @5V). Higher wattage chargers will not increase the maximum supported charge rate of the iPad. Note also that iPad requires a Power Adapter rated to at least 10W to reliably charge.

You’ll obviously require the correct charging cable to connect your iPad to your chosen Power Adapter - either a Lightning to USB-C, or a Lightning to USB Type-A.

Do I have to a USB-c charger for iPad 8th generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.