You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download folder disappeared

I have updated to Big Sur and soon after this my download folder disappeared. When I click to try open it it says The operation cannot be compleated because the original item for “Downloads” can’t be found. What should I do in order to get it back?

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 8:40 PM

1 reply

Jan 21, 2021 8:59 PM in response to nakedfishh

Ok, so I'm not sure why you have a locked alias on your desktop to your downloads folder (I can only assume it is locked so that you don't accidentally delete it?) But, it is my guess that in locking it, the update was unable to redirect the path of the alias for you automatically.

What is most likely happening here is not that the downloads folder is missing, but rather your alias (shortcut) to the downloads folder is no longer working.

You can fix the alias by selecting it and hitting command i. Then (you might have to unlock it to continue you by unchecking the lock checkbox) you can click the "Select new original" button and use the sidebar to select the downloads folder. If you can't find it in the sidebar, you can use spotlight in that window to search for it and select it.

Does this answer your question?

download folder disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.