You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I dont have the folder /Applications/Install on my machine, so cannot create a bootable installer. Any suggestions?

I dont have the folder /Applications/Install on my machine, so cannot create a bootable installer. Any suggestions?

I have just updated to Big Sur from Catalina.

I am trying to go through the process of going back to Catalina and need to create a bootable volume on a USB memory stick.

I am trying to run the command...

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 5:21 AM

/Applications/Install is not a folder. /Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/ is an application bundle.

You have to download a Catalina installer from the App Store. How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 22, 2021 6:28 AM in response to Divelikeastone

Divelikeastone wrote:

I have just updated to Big Sur from Catalina.
I am trying to go through the process of going back to Catalina and need to create a bootable volume on a USB memory stick.
I am trying to run the command...
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Once you have downloaded the full installer it will sit in your Applications folder: "Install macOS Catalina.app"

You can copy and paste the command line:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume 

notice there is a blank space at the end of this command line—now you can simply drag & drop your USB to the Terminal window and it will automatically complete the path name.

(note: your psswd will not echo on screen, type it in anyway to continue.)

ref: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.