You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete my old Apple ID

Hi

I have just found an old iPad I used for work a few years ago but it has the old work email as the Apple ID and it’s asking for the password with my old work email!

Im trying to get this sorted before 11 as I’m trying to get this to my son so he he can home school and I can have my laptop back.

thank you

Victoria

iPad Air 2, iOS 11

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 2:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 2:17 AM

Was your old iPad centrally managed by your employer? If so, it may be managed by an MDM platform that could inhibit use for other purposes.

If the iPad is your own, purchased by yourself, you should be able to recover use of the iPad. Whilst the AppleID may be the email address of your employer, the email address is simply used to identify the AppleID account (as the username). You will need to initially concentrate your effort on recovering access to the AppleID account - as, until you do so, you’re likely to encounter multiple issues that will thwart your attempts to reuse the iPad.

The AppleID and associated password, if forgotten, can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to any one of the following - to which you can receive account reset:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Assuming the AppleID account was your own (i.e., not managed by your employer), unless your AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be overly difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com

When you have recovered the AppleID credentials, you can consider necessary steps to reuse the iPad.

If you intend to reuse the iPad with a different AppleID, you would be well advised to prepare it properly for reuse - as this will ensure that the Activation Lock associated with the original AppleID is removed, along with all data and other sensitive information:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2021 2:17 AM in response to VictoryT15

Was your old iPad centrally managed by your employer? If so, it may be managed by an MDM platform that could inhibit use for other purposes.

If the iPad is your own, purchased by yourself, you should be able to recover use of the iPad. Whilst the AppleID may be the email address of your employer, the email address is simply used to identify the AppleID account (as the username). You will need to initially concentrate your effort on recovering access to the AppleID account - as, until you do so, you’re likely to encounter multiple issues that will thwart your attempts to reuse the iPad.

The AppleID and associated password, if forgotten, can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to any one of the following - to which you can receive account reset:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Assuming the AppleID account was your own (i.e., not managed by your employer), unless your AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be overly difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com

When you have recovered the AppleID credentials, you can consider necessary steps to reuse the iPad.

If you intend to reuse the iPad with a different AppleID, you would be well advised to prepare it properly for reuse - as this will ensure that the Activation Lock associated with the original AppleID is removed, along with all data and other sensitive information:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Jan 26, 2021 2:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you I’m so confused! So it was our business we were taken over and old company into administration so the primary old work email no longer exists it’s as though I need to reset the iPad as in a factory reset would that work? I have already reset it but Apple ID still an issue?

is anyone able to talk me through it?

thank you

Victoria

How do I delete my old Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.