You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zip File help

I'm trying to unzip file Trailer.ods. When I double click the file a new file is created, Trailer.ods.cpgz. The file never opens.

I'm working from a MacBook Pro & Catalina

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 12:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 1:54 PM

CaptYak wrote:

I tried downloading open office and my Mac would not open the program because it couldn’t verify the designer

That is just your Security settings, which is a good thing and easy enough to bypass on an app by app bases.

—when an app fails to install because it hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer, it will appear in

>System Preferences > Security & Privacy> General tab.

Click Open Anyway to confirm your intent to open or install the app.

The warning prompt reappears, and you can click Open.*

The app is now saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can any authorized app.

references: Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

( note : the 'old way' was simply holding the Control key when clicking open i.e. for older macOS's)

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2021 1:54 PM in response to CaptYak

CaptYak wrote:

I tried downloading open office and my Mac would not open the program because it couldn’t verify the designer

That is just your Security settings, which is a good thing and easy enough to bypass on an app by app bases.

—when an app fails to install because it hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer, it will appear in

>System Preferences > Security & Privacy> General tab.

Click Open Anyway to confirm your intent to open or install the app.

The warning prompt reappears, and you can click Open.*

The app is now saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it, just as you can any authorized app.

references: Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

( note : the 'old way' was simply holding the Control key when clicking open i.e. for older macOS's)

Jan 26, 2021 12:13 PM in response to CaptYak

CaptYak wrote:

I'm trying to unzip file Trailer.ods. When I double click the file a new file is created, Trailer.ods.cpgz. The file never opens.

I'm working from a MacBook Pro & Catalina

This is not a zipped file type—

An ODS file is a spreadsheet created by the Calc program included with the Apache OpenOffice suite.

Try OpenOffice suite

or

maybe LibreOffice

Zip File help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.