You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to sync music on Big Sur

I'm not able to sync music between my Mac Pro and iPhone 12. Finder shows all of the music is identical on iCloud and the Mac. But syncing won't make it appear on the phone.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 12:23 PM

8 replies

Jan 29, 2021 6:47 PM in response to rw2001

Hey rw2001,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about syncing your music between your Mac and iPhone while using macOS Big Sur. You mention iCloud too. Are you an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscriber? If so, you'll want to use the iCloud Music Library to sync your music between devices by turning on the "Sync Library" option. Details can be found here: Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

If you're not using those features, let us know more:

The more details you can provide the better.

Take care.

Jan 31, 2021 3:31 AM in response to KMB_12

I should have been more complete in my question kareng12. My Apology. I had done all of the steps in your directions before I summited the question. When I got your note, I went back to assure I had them all checked properly and yet still no sync between the Mac and the iPhone. I get this message when the phone's plugged into the Mac, and I look at the "Music" tab. I've cast around and have not yet found a place to turn off the "iCloud Music Library" and am not sure of the other unintended consequences might occur if I did. Do you think this is my problem? Your help is much appreciated. Rick

Feb 2, 2021 6:16 AM in response to rw2001

Rick,

That's great information. With using the iCloud Music Library you're not able to manually sync your music between devices. With using this feature though, the music should automatically sync between your Mac and iPhone. That's where the "Sync Library" option comes into play on your Mac and iPhone. If you prefer to continue using iCloud, make sure "Sync Library" is turned on for both your iPhone and Mac.

If you prefer to sync your music manually, that's OK too. You'll want to turn off the "Sync Library" option on your Mac and iPhone, then you should be able to sync it using the Finder.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards.

Mar 10, 2021 3:06 AM in response to KMB_12

Hi - I have tried everything to get my iMac (Big Sur) to sync a playlist on to my iPhone 8. I've read what is on here; I have scoured all the support communities but it just won't happen. I even tried to drag the Playlist from the iMac on to the phone but was told that it was already on the phone !! I am exasperated. Grateful for your help. I am an Apple Music subscriber and I have tried every sync button in sight !

how to sync music on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.