You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an external LG ultrawide monitor.

I've tried connecting my MacBook Pro 2017 to a 34inch lg ultra wide monitor using a usb-c to hdmi cable. However, my monitor keeps flashing on and off. ISometimes my mac screen with flash to black and then back to normal as well. I've tried restarting everything. When I unplug the cord, the MacBook pro works just fine.

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 10:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 6:22 AM

Hi there Gore9,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re connecting your external monitor with your Mac and seeing the display turn on and off. We’ll be happy to help.

Restarting was a good place to begin troubleshooting. Since the Mac works without the display connected, it doesn’t sound like there’s an issue with the Mac. Have you had a chance to try a different USB-C Cable? This resource can help you look over your display options as well: Use external monitors with your Mac. We hope this helps.

Best regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2021 6:22 AM in response to Gore9

Hi there Gore9,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re connecting your external monitor with your Mac and seeing the display turn on and off. We’ll be happy to help.

Restarting was a good place to begin troubleshooting. Since the Mac works without the display connected, it doesn’t sound like there’s an issue with the Mac. Have you had a chance to try a different USB-C Cable? This resource can help you look over your display options as well: Use external monitors with your Mac. We hope this helps.

Best regards.

Feb 13, 2021 1:32 PM in response to Gore9

I had trouble with my 2019 MBP Touch bar connecting from USB-C to DVI to a beautiful vintage Apple Studio Display. For months I tried different adapters so annoyed and wishing Apple didn't get rid of the very versatile mini-display port. Most adapters worked in safe mode so I couldn't figure it out. Read about dishing out over $100 for a used dual link dvi adapter but really didn't want to do that. Then I brought home an adapter from j5Create and used it with an Apple HDMI to DVI adapter and it worked great!!! I was so happy. Try this adapter USB to HDMI, it might work. If not you can just take it to a UPS store and return it via Amazon. Was so happy my monitor finally works with the MBP now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PQVL24/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connecting an external LG ultrawide monitor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.