You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting USB SuperDrive

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 running Big Sur. I have a USB SuperDrive which I connect through the standard Apple USB USB-C adapter.

I have been attempting to install software from a CD. I was able to insert the CD into the SuperDrive. However, my computer does not seem to consistently recognize the CD. Most of the time, I hear the disc start to spin, but nothing happens on the computer. I cannot find the CD in the Finder. I have attempting unplugging and replugging the SuperDrive. On a couple of occasions, the folder from the CD containing the dmg I wish to install has popped up, but when I double click and attempt to begin the install process, the Finder program freezes. Sometimes after 10 minutes or so, Finder seems to "unfreeze" but the dmg file fails to boot.

I am beginning to assume that I have a bad USB SuperDrive. It's several years old.

1) Are there troubleshooting suggestions?

2) Due to inconsistent recognition, I cannot find a way to eject the CD within the drive. How can I safely recover the CD stuck in the SuperDrive?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 7:57 PM

So, weirdly enough. After trying the DVD, I tried the TurboTax CD again and it immediately worked properly. I have no idea what I did to fix it. I had reset the SMC earlier in the day, but that hadn't seemed to help. Anyway, problem solved.... somehow.

15 replies

Jan 30, 2021 11:55 AM in response to JumpToTheMoon

It looks like the computer-end of the USB ports could supply enough power, Provided the adapter can send it across.

Your drive does not seem like it is behaving properly.

¿Are you running any third-party virus scanners? These have a reputation for inserting them selves into every data transfer pathway in a very invasive way, and sometimes preclude the use of perfectly good devices.

Jan 30, 2021 12:00 PM in response to JumpToTheMoon

That one, apart from all others, should Not be a problem (because it was written by a Mac-centric developer).

But you can test quickly by trying to access in Safe Mode, where no third-party extensions are loaded. (hold shift at startup, and wait for the five-minute disk repair, then use your username and password to log in, even if you normally auto-login.

Troubleshooting USB SuperDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.