You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between the USB adapter or just a USB adapter? I was told I needed one for my new iPhone SE

What is the difference between the

USB -C adapter or just a USB adapter? I was told I needed one for my new iPhone SE. They didn’t tell us that last year when I bought the SE for my daughter

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 1:49 PM

When Apple says "USB" they mean USB-A. That's the one with the rectangular profile. The USB ports on new Macs are USB-C which are rounded. See the Related Article link at top to see a picture. Of course you only need the adapter if you have a newer computer.

3 replies

Jan 30, 2021 1:48 PM in response to peggym7

can you clarify what you are trying to accomplish?

The term USB adapter all by itself is extremely generic.

If you are having trouble because the SE came with a USB C to lightning cable.. I think your best options are to purchase a USB C power supply or get a USB A to lightning cable. If you still have cables from previous iPhones, those will work too.

Here is the Apple USB C charger..

20W USB-C Power Adapter

or one from Anker, they work great

https://us.anker.com/pages/uai2020

Or get a different cable that works with your old chargers

Lightning to USB Cable 

or, again, Anker makes good options here too.. one example below

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerline-iii-lightning-cable/A8813021

Jan 30, 2021 1:53 PM in response to peggym7

These have different sizes for the sockets and plugs.

USB-C is a newer technology that permits faster phone charging.

The iPhone socket is called Lightning. The included cable has a Lightning plug and on the other end a USB-C plug. If you buy a USB-C power adapter of 18 watts or more, you can use the included USB-C to Lightning cable to enjoy faster charging. However, you can still use the older power adapters, which come in 5, 10, or 12 watts, and use the older cords included with previous iPhones. These are a USB-A adapter, and a USB-A to Lightning cable. The only difference is that this type of cable carries less power, so it will take longer to charge the phone.

What is the difference between the USB adapter or just a USB adapter? I was told I needed one for my new iPhone SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.