You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer won't upgrade to Big Sur

My Imac is operating Catalina v 10.15.7 and won't upgrade to Big Sur. It freezes during the process and won't continue

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 9:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 9:58 PM

gtc1008 Said:

"My computer won't upgrade to Big Sur: My Imac is operating Catalina v 10.15.7 and won't upgrade to Big Sur. It freezes during the process and won't continue"

-------

Upgrade in Safe Mode:

Perform the following:

There are Two Important Streps to Upgrading: Back Up, then Upgrade

I. Back Up:

1. Backup Prior to Installation: Create a Time Machine Backup, that way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as that of your internal hard drive.

II. Upgrade in:

1. Safe Mode: Hold Down: The shift key upon boot
  2. Log in: as an Administrator User
  3. Install the Update: by opening System Preferences > System Updates > Install the Update. But Backup First.
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2021 9:58 PM in response to gtc1008

gtc1008 Said:

"My computer won't upgrade to Big Sur: My Imac is operating Catalina v 10.15.7 and won't upgrade to Big Sur. It freezes during the process and won't continue"

-------

Upgrade in Safe Mode:

Perform the following:

There are Two Important Streps to Upgrading: Back Up, then Upgrade

I. Back Up:

1. Backup Prior to Installation: Create a Time Machine Backup, that way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. Use an external hard drive that is at least 1.5 the total storage capacity as that of your internal hard drive.

II. Upgrade in:

1. Safe Mode: Hold Down: The shift key upon boot
  2. Log in: as an Administrator User
  3. Install the Update: by opening System Preferences > System Updates > Install the Update. But Backup First.

My computer won't upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.