You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues on preparing software update while updating Big Sur

While I am restarting my computer after I began the Mac Big Sure installation, it said that there are issues on preparing the software update. Then it has the macOS update assistant program with a process bar, but didn't have any progress within the next half hour. There was issues with the space of my Startup disk, but after I empty the trash can, I could download the Big Sur package.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 2:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 1:23 PM

Shutdown and disconnect any external drives. Startup and immediately hold the Shift key. Safe Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load required Apple Software so load slowly - Normal

5 replies

Feb 2, 2021 4:07 AM in response to Janicewu0723

Two things and one if the Empty Space Requirements as outlined in Apple Support Document " If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade "

Second, if one believes the Empty Space requirements were met before the attempted upGrade - shutdown computer and disconnect all external drives. reStart in Safe Mode - Shift - key immediately at startup. It does a repair Disk, clear cache files - load slowly - Normal. It may allow the installation to complete successfully.

Feb 2, 2021 2:45 AM in response to Janicewu0723

I’m having the exact same problem it seems. But I can’t complete the update, and I also can get anywhere else. The computer is stuck in this place. All I can do is restart it but I only get back to the same place.

how do I know if there is space on my startup disk, and how can I make space. I can’t reach my trash can from here and I’m also pretty sure it was empty last time I checked..

Issues on preparing software update while updating Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.