You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch series 6 fitness app is counting my knitting as steps-how to fix?

Is there any way to stop my apple watch series 6 from counting knitting stitches as steps on my fitness app? I thought the watch tracked where I was with gps and thus the distances I've walked, but now I'm wondering if my fitness app has been inaccurately counting my steps and distances walked all along. How can I fix this problem?

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 8:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 8:54 AM

The watch counts every step you take with the built in accelerometer,when you do a workout the GPS kicks in to measure your workout distance.

When you're knitting the watch's accelerometer thinks you're taking steps,only 2 ways to stop this;

Take the watch off or turn off fitness tracking.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2021 8:54 AM in response to shbfromvt

The watch counts every step you take with the built in accelerometer,when you do a workout the GPS kicks in to measure your workout distance.

When you're knitting the watch's accelerometer thinks you're taking steps,only 2 ways to stop this;

Take the watch off or turn off fitness tracking.

Feb 3, 2021 9:58 AM in response to Community User

Thank you. So the fitness tracker is not using GPS? Didn't know that. I'm afraid if I take the watch off every time I sit down to knit, that defeats the purpose of having a smart watch. No notifications, no heart health monitoring, handwashing, or breathing, and no alert that my phone is ringing. And I do want to track my real movement over a day. I don't just sit and knit. I'm often up and down. My old Fitbit did not count knitting as steps, so it is possible to tracks steps while not tracking knitting as steps, though I do not know how. Could I just keep my workout app running during the day? I charge my watch every evening. And where would I turn off my fitness tracking on my watch if I decided to do so? I don't carry my phone around with me for most of the day. Any other thoughts, anyone?

Feb 3, 2021 10:13 AM in response to shbfromvt

If you keep the workout app running the built in accelerometer will still measure your knitting because it can't be turned off and it runs in parallel with the workout app.

And in Privacy in the watch app is where you can turn off fitness tracking.

Apple watch series 6 fitness app is counting my knitting as steps-how to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.