You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad update

Why can't I update my iPad Pro from 13.7 to 14?

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 9:52 AM

14 replies

Feb 3, 2021 9:56 AM in response to karenzuk

It is probably too old but you haven't told us a model for us to say exactly. Click on this link to read how to "Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch" --> https://support.apple.com/HT204204 - When you try to update you will only be given one update selection which will be the highest available iOS version supported by your device. If it says the device is up to date and you need a higher OS version you will have to buy newer equipment.

The above process will answer your question. Others may post more about how you really should be buying newer equipment, etc. but the answer to your question is just a click away.

Feb 3, 2021 9:55 AM in response to karenzuk

Whether you are able to update your iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by your iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.1

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 14.4.

If your iPad is capable of being updated to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Feb 3, 2021 10:27 AM in response to LotusPilot

I tried connecting it to my Mac but it doesn't appear in the finder. I see it when I go to System info holding the option key. I then can click on it under USB but nothing happens. I also got it to appear using airdrop but couldn't select it. Current IOS is 13.7. i was prompted to get the update so I assume this model is eligible. I clicked on verify and then in install. That's where it ends. I get a message that there was an error and to retry. Is that as high as this model goes?

Feb 3, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Limnos

I tried to update my Mac but discovered that "software update" isn't there under the apple menu or system preferences. I currently have High Sierra 10.13.6. When I click on Software update from "about this Mac" it tells me "no updates available". Could my Mac be too old and that's why I can't update the iPad from it?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

I have gone through the suggested links and they didn't help.

Ipad update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.