You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook was lost or stolen about 3 years ago. It has miraculously been returned to me today but has been removed from my find my Mac. The computer is locked and needs to be unlocked with a pin...how do I find that?

My MacBook was lost or stolen about 3 years ago. It has miraculously been returned to me today but has been removed from my find my Mac. The computer is locked and needs to be unlocked with a pin...how do I find that?

MacBook

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 8:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 9:00 PM

Hopefully, you are able to locate the bill of sale / invoice from when you first purchased the MacBook? If not Apple will not be able to be of any assistance at all.

With proof of Purchase, you MAY be able to get it unlocked, again I said you MAY get it unlocked.

Contact Get Support – Apple

https://getsupport.apple.com/

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2021 9:00 PM in response to Found-MacBook

Hopefully, you are able to locate the bill of sale / invoice from when you first purchased the MacBook? If not Apple will not be able to be of any assistance at all.

With proof of Purchase, you MAY be able to get it unlocked, again I said you MAY get it unlocked.

Contact Get Support – Apple

https://getsupport.apple.com/

Feb 3, 2021 9:08 PM in response to Found-MacBook

Hi Found-MacBook,

Congratulations on recovering your Mac! Glad to hear it's back in your possession.

Unfortunately Apple only stores the unlock PIN in iCloud for a short amount of time after you initially lock your Mac (I think it's a day or a week). After that, the PIN is no longer available.

As suggested by mdhurst, try to locate the original bill of sale or invoice for the Mac. If successful, Apple might unlock your Mac for you.

Alternatively, if the Mac is still signed into your Apple ID, you might be able to prove ownership by showing Apple the serial number of the Mac, and showing that the same Mac serial number is associated with your Apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.