You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Post Clean install, user setup says still managed by company

My friend gave me his old Macbook Pro for personal use. I did a clean install from the Internet (cmd shift R on boot). I got the update, erased the drive and started installing the new OS as I always do. I noticed when I was setting up the user, i got a prompt that this computer would be managed by his company. I haven't ever seen that before when reinstalling a clean OS. Naturally the laptop isn't used by the company anymore, so I wasn't sure how best to do a true clean install to get around this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 12:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 12:26 PM

The company has to remove their control of the computer. They should have done so when they gave the computer to your friend.

MDM overview for Apple devices - Apple Support

3 replies

Feb 10, 2021 1:14 PM in response to jstone2013

There is no way around it – that's one of the reasons companies use MDM. Well, technically Apple can remove MDM but you'd need to conclusively demonstrate proof of ownership of the Mac, i.e. a sales or donation receipt with the serial number of the machine, and since you 'got it from a friend' I rather doubt you have one of those.

Are you certain it was his to give you? Generally, company IT policies require return of equipment, or if the entire company was dissolved then the computer is a physical asset that would become part of the liquidation. If they gave it to him to keep, they should have removed it from their MDM first. If it's on their MDM, the company can remotely access your computer and that could present a big risk for you. Ask your friend to ask the company to remove it from MDM.

Post Clean install, user setup says still managed by company

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.