You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility First Aid failed. What do I backup?

What is on my Macintosh HD-Data disk? All my files and apps?

I ran Disk Utitility>First Aid on “Macintosh HD - Data” on my iMac 2020 27 inch 5k Retina because Outlook 365 and Word 365 were not launching. Also when updated the iOs Big Sur, my reboot rebooted multiple times. I know something is wrong.

First Aid process has failed.

If possible back up the data on this volume.

Object map is invalid.

The volum/dev/rdisk2s2 could not be verified completely.

File system or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation failed.

iMac 27″, 11.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 5:21 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 10, 2021 1:22 PM in response to Allison P

Hey there, Allison.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! Thanks for posting about the troubles you're having with your Mac. We'd be glad to assist.

Initially you mentioned wanting to know more about what is stored within the Macintosh HD-Data portion of the hard drive. Learn more about the changes made in macOS Catalina and later in regard to data storage in About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina.

Another item to review is How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility, as it includes what to do if you attempt to run First Aid and it fails. Generally when that happens, you'll need to back up what data you can and erase the drive. More info on that in the "If Disk Utility found errors that it can't repair" section.

If you need further guidance, let us know.

Take care.

Disk Utility First Aid failed. What do I backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.