You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping email on desktop computer (IMAP vs. POP)

Hello,

I've recently upgraded to Big Sur, and IMAP is the default server protocol for Mail. I check email on both an iPhone and an iPad, but I like to save important emails on my desktop for extended periods of time. With IMAP, it seems as if the only way to do this is to allow emails to pile up on my other devices, because if I delete them on the iPhone or iPad, it deletes them everywhere.

With IMAP, is there any way to prevent emails from being deleted from my desktop when I delete them on the other devices? Or is switching back to a POP protocol the only way to do that?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 12:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 12:43 PM

There are different versions of IMAP in use, for instance MS-Exchange implements IMAP differently from the way GMAIL implements it. But the following will work to preserve a message on your desktop when it is deleted form other platforms:

Under the Mail Message menu, use the Copy To options to move a copy of the message to a folder that is On My Mac. On My Mac is local only storage for email messages. Once it has been copied (saved) to an On My Mac location, when you delete it on another device (iPhone, e.g.) and it is then deleted from all devices -- that is basically how IMAP works -- you will have a preserved copy on your desktop in that On My Mac folder.

Note that you have to copy the message this way BEFORE deleting it. Once deleted, it gets deleted from all the platforms using that email account, and from the email server, so it must be copied to local storage first.

POP physically downloads the email to each platform independently, but you then need to make sure that you don't have the message deleted from the server before the other devices have a chance to download (if you want the email on multiple devices). Usually the default is to delete the email from the server as soon as it is downloaded, but you can insert a time delay (say, 30 days) so that you have plenty of time to download it to other platforms as well. One drawback of POP is that the messages you want to delete must be deleted separately from each of multiple platforms if it has been downloaded to multiple platforms.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2021 12:43 PM in response to dmsuydam

There are different versions of IMAP in use, for instance MS-Exchange implements IMAP differently from the way GMAIL implements it. But the following will work to preserve a message on your desktop when it is deleted form other platforms:

Under the Mail Message menu, use the Copy To options to move a copy of the message to a folder that is On My Mac. On My Mac is local only storage for email messages. Once it has been copied (saved) to an On My Mac location, when you delete it on another device (iPhone, e.g.) and it is then deleted from all devices -- that is basically how IMAP works -- you will have a preserved copy on your desktop in that On My Mac folder.

Note that you have to copy the message this way BEFORE deleting it. Once deleted, it gets deleted from all the platforms using that email account, and from the email server, so it must be copied to local storage first.

POP physically downloads the email to each platform independently, but you then need to make sure that you don't have the message deleted from the server before the other devices have a chance to download (if you want the email on multiple devices). Usually the default is to delete the email from the server as soon as it is downloaded, but you can insert a time delay (say, 30 days) so that you have plenty of time to download it to other platforms as well. One drawback of POP is that the messages you want to delete must be deleted separately from each of multiple platforms if it has been downloaded to multiple platforms.

Feb 10, 2021 1:23 PM in response to steve626

I've created an On My Mac folder and tried to save emails into that with no success. I followed the "Copy to" instructions you provided, but nothing ended up in the folder. I did the same with Archive. I tried "Copy to" and I tried opening the message and clicking the Archive icon in the menu bar of the specific message. The message disappeared, but the Archive file remained empty. I have no idea where that message went!

Is there something in Mail Preference that needs to be selected?

Feb 10, 2021 3:07 PM in response to dmsuydam

I just did this with emails from an IMAP account and also a POP account. Both messages appeared in the On My Mac folder I had selected. And also in the Archive folder On My Mac which was tested separately. I not sure what is happening with your folders.

What type of IMAP email are you using (Exchange, GMAIL, something else)?

Keeping email on desktop computer (IMAP vs. POP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.