You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trackpad freezes while browsing, then computer automatically restarts

I'm encountering this issue at least once or twice a day. While browsing the cursor will stop/freeze, and the trackpad will become unresponsive, meaning no tracking, and no click action.

In this state, hitting the ESC key, or Command+tab, is also unresponsive, so this trackpad freeze causes a system freeze. If I wait a few seconds and try to see if I can get the cursor to move again by using the trackpad, the computer goes into a restart by itself.

I'm not sure if this is caused by my particular trackpad use, or if it's a fluke with the pad, or something with the current OS. I'd appreciate some feedback on this. I've sent responses to Apple at each of these events.

Macbook Pro M1, MacOS 11.2.1, Safari 14.0.3

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 9:38 PM

1 reply

Feb 16, 2021 11:27 AM in response to pici

Hi pici,

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your MacBook Pro. Rest assured that we’ll do our best to assist you or get you pointed in the right direction.

We understand that your device freezes and eventually restarts. The articles below may help.

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

If your Mac restarted because of a problem

Also, we recommend that you check if the issue persists while on safe mode. Below is an article to help guide you through the process.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Have you had the chance to check if the persists on a different user account? The article below can help if you do not have any other user account to test with.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Please keep us posted.

Take care!

trackpad freezes while browsing, then computer automatically restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.