You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing back videos in the Photos app on my MacBook Pro and I get the 'Unsupported Video Format' error. Video is choppy??

Hello,

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile so hopefully someone here can help me as I feel that I'm pretty tech savvy. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and a mid-2015 MacBook Pro along with the iCloud storage plan of 200GB per month. On my iPhone I have my settings setup to 'Download and Keep Originals' on the Photos setting and iCloud Photos turned on. I also have the setting 'Transfer to Mac or PC' on my cell set to Automatic.

On my MacBook Pro in Photos>Preferences>iCloud I have it set to 'Optimize Mac Storage' and obviously have iCloud Photos turned on.

Whenever I take a picture or video on my cell it does automatically show up in Photos on my Mac like it's supposed to but most of my videos that I play back are very choppy and have the warning error in the top right saying 'Unsupported Video Format'.

Do I need to change the setting on my MacBook from Optimize Mac Storage to Download Originals to this Mac to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance!

-Dave

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 11:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 12:56 PM

That is one way. The other is to force it to download the video fully before trying to play it. You can do that by selecting the video and choosing "export>export unmodified original" from the file menu.

Hopfully that will then allow it to play properly. Easy to try anyway.

Similar questions

1 reply

Playing back videos in the Photos app on my MacBook Pro and I get the 'Unsupported Video Format' error. Video is choppy??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.