You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not all files from "On My iPad" show up in Windows Explorer

When I use the "Files" app on my iPad, I see 5 files "On My iPad".

When I look at the iPad - info for all 5 files, the iPad seems to think all of the files are in the same place.

I see "Where - On My iPad" for all 5 files. I see no additional directory information.

When I connect my iPad to my PC, my PC can copy 3 of those files from

"This PC\Apple iPad\Internal Storage\DCIM\100APPLE"

These 3 files do not have the same name or location as they do on my iPad, but they are the same files.

The other 2 files do not show up.

I do not want to install iTunes or anything else on my PC.

How do I get the files?

Is there a way to browse the true directory structure of the iPad?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 1:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 3:47 PM

I do not use iCloud.

I have reluctantly installed iTunes.

Looking at the iPad in iTunes, I see none of the five files that I see in "Files" on my iPad.

I don't want to backup my iPad to my PC.

I just want to get a few files off my iPad that I can see in "Files" on my iPad.

I don't see a way in iTunes to view my iPad's directory structure.

Maybe there are developer tools that will allow me to place and retrieve files on my iPad?

I realize "On My iPad" is not a directory on my iPad.

Even with developer tools, I still will not know where these files are.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2021 3:47 PM in response to LotusPilot

I do not use iCloud.

I have reluctantly installed iTunes.

Looking at the iPad in iTunes, I see none of the five files that I see in "Files" on my iPad.

I don't want to backup my iPad to my PC.

I just want to get a few files off my iPad that I can see in "Files" on my iPad.

I don't see a way in iTunes to view my iPad's directory structure.

Maybe there are developer tools that will allow me to place and retrieve files on my iPad?

I realize "On My iPad" is not a directory on my iPad.

Even with developer tools, I still will not know where these files are.

Feb 14, 2021 3:06 PM in response to engineeringDynamo

You first need to be aware that you cannot directly browse your iPad filesystem from a PC. Whilst the iOS/iPadOS encrypted filesystem exposes photographs via the DCIM directory, other files are encrypted and remain hidden from a directly connected computer.

Should you wish to avoid installation of iTunes for Windows, perhaps the easiest method of accessing your iPad files is allow your iPad to use iCloud - and to install iCloud for Windows on your PC. This PC application can be downloaded (for free) directly from Apple - or for Windows 10, from the Microsoft App Store.

Set up and use iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

Download iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

Be aware that some iPad maintenance operations (such as a system restore - or assisted update) will unavoidably require a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). As such it might be advisable to install and verify iTunes anyway. iTunes and iCloud for Windows will happily coexist. The choice is yours.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Feb 14, 2021 3:45 PM in response to engineeringDynamo

You cannot explore the iPad filesystem in the manner to which you are evidently accustomed in Windows. iTunes provides a “bridge” that allows you to transfer many file-types between iPad and PC - or optionally synchronise elements (such as Music, Calendar, Contacts etc.) between platforms.

iCloud services provides a method to easily transfer files - and securely access core services using a web browser from any computer.

Out of professional curiosity, have you are particular reason to avoid using the very services that are designed to permit the very actions that you are attempting to achieve? You have invested in a very flexible device, but appear to be intent upon hamstringing your ability to use it.

Feb 14, 2021 4:22 PM in response to engineeringDynamo

I'm not sure of all this reluctance. It's the way the world turns. You will be more bent should you misplace your ipad without a backup. I found iTunes confusing too.

You may want to consider https://imazing.com/

It has a paid and free version. I bought it because my version of macOS didn't support the latest version of iTunes. It was worth it. Works on my version of macOS. Provides all device function in one place. Not the confused muddle iTunes was on macOS.

App will let you look for other available files. There is more shared data than pictures.

There is also iExplorer.app. https://macroplant.com/iexplorerhttps://macroplant.com/iexplorer In the free version, it will let you look around for other files. Will depend on what version of ios you are running. Apple is always adding more restrictions. I have a password protected iPhone and it lets me look around. I have both app. I recommend the paid version of imazing 2.

R

Feb 14, 2021 4:54 PM in response to LotusPilot

So far, iTunes does not provide a "bridge" to the files I want that I can view using the "Files" app on my iPad.

They simply are not to be found using iTunes.

I do not find the iPad to be a "flexible device".

The iPad is powerful. It is a very well thought out finished product that is easy to use. The Apple software is polished and not very buggy.

If it was flexible, I would be able to view true filenames and get files off of it.

I would be able to see the name of a picture file, and find a picture by the filename instead of scrolling through pictures.

A "flexible device" could be used to transfer 100+Gb of files from my friend's Mac to my PC or the other way around without using a network.

Certainly, a flexible device would allow me to be able to get files from it that I can see in a pseudo-directory named "On My iPad" on it.

Professional curiosity - The last time I installed iTunes on a PC was before Windows 10.

I had to re-install Windows to fix the registry.

That was why I was avoiding it.

Cloud storage - On my PC, I manage what I want backed up to the cloud by directory.

I do not want everything on my iPad to be backed up to the cloud.

For now, I do not understand how to organize what is only on my iPad, and what goes to the cloud (and is therefore shareable to other devices or cloud logon). So, for now, I avoid iCloud.

Not all files from "On My iPad" show up in Windows Explorer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.