You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade

Hi, I have OS X 10.8.5 that I can't updrade because I can't log to the apple store. Every time that I tried to log in, it keeps on saying that I have to upgrade in new version of macos.

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 3:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 12:21 PM

Have you installed all of the updates for macOS 10.8.5? This includes all security updates as well.

You can download the macOS 10.11 El Capitan installer from outside of the App Store now. You can the links to the various macOS installers from 10.11 to 10.15 (and 11.2) within this Apple article as well as instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Make sure to the instructions carefully since there are multiple steps needed to download and extract the macOS 10.11 installer to the Applications folder. I also recommend creating a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer so you have options if something goes wrong.

How far you can upgrade macOS depends on the exact model of your Mac.

Make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 15, 2021 12:21 PM in response to MoonEllie

Have you installed all of the updates for macOS 10.8.5? This includes all security updates as well.

You can download the macOS 10.11 El Capitan installer from outside of the App Store now. You can the links to the various macOS installers from 10.11 to 10.15 (and 11.2) within this Apple article as well as instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Make sure to the instructions carefully since there are multiple steps needed to download and extract the macOS 10.11 installer to the Applications folder. I also recommend creating a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer so you have options if something goes wrong.

How far you can upgrade macOS depends on the exact model of your Mac.

Make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS.

Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.