You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will there be duplicate songs if I transfer my local music library to a new Mac?

I have a well curated, high bit rate music library on my old MacBook Pro. The collection is 300 gb and I use iTunes match and Apple music for access to my music on the iPhone and Macs I own with small hard disks. The music in my iCloud library is either matched (but at a lower bit rate) or uploaded at the high quality bit rate. I should also add that the old MacBook Pro is still running iTunes and my other Mac are all running Big Sur / Music.app.

I want to move the original local music from my old MacBook Pro to a new Mac that I just purchased. I worry that using migration assistant to transfer my music will result in song duplicates. Apple suggested that I download the music through Music.app, but this would result in downloading the matched files and not my 'original' CD rips.

Suggestions?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 3:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 4:47 PM

The suggested way of using Migration Assistant did not work; it produced duplicate songs.

Solution:

• On old MacBook Pro iTunes, Music > Preferences > Uncheck Sync Library
  • Filter Music Library on the new Mac by iCloud status and delete everything that is not Apple Music (ie: Matched or Uploaded) files. This will keep all of your Apple Music additions but remove anything that is using iTunes Match in iCloud
  • Attached old MacBook Pro Time Machine Backup to new Mac
  • In Music.app on the new Mac, File > Import
  • Navigate to the iTunes Media located in the directory that corresponds to the most recent backup.
  • Click import
  • Wait for Music.app to copy all of the music to the new Mac
  • Wait for Music.app to upload or match the music to iCloud

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 15, 2021 4:47 PM in response to JJPO_D

The suggested way of using Migration Assistant did not work; it produced duplicate songs.

Solution:

• On old MacBook Pro iTunes, Music > Preferences > Uncheck Sync Library
  • Filter Music Library on the new Mac by iCloud status and delete everything that is not Apple Music (ie: Matched or Uploaded) files. This will keep all of your Apple Music additions but remove anything that is using iTunes Match in iCloud
  • Attached old MacBook Pro Time Machine Backup to new Mac
  • In Music.app on the new Mac, File > Import
  • Navigate to the iTunes Media located in the directory that corresponds to the most recent backup.
  • Click import
  • Wait for Music.app to copy all of the music to the new Mac
  • Wait for Music.app to upload or match the music to iCloud

Will there be duplicate songs if I transfer my local music library to a new Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.